The formation of hard deposits in your gall bladder result in gallstones. Depending on the stone-forming particles, they are of two types, i.e., cholesterol gallstones and pigment gallstones. As the name suggests, cholesterol gallstones are formed due to excess accumulation of cholesterol in your gall bladder. On the other hand, pigment gallstones are formed due to excess bilirubin. Usually, surgery is the go-to treatment option; it is also possible to some extent to remove gallstones naturally.
You may have intense, sharp pain in the upper right of your abdomen. Pain due to gallstone usually radiates to the back and may even go up to the shoulder blade.This article will discuss gallstones, gallstones’ causes and symptoms, and some effective home remedies for their removal. Let’s find out more.
What Ate the Causes of Gallstone Formation?
As we have said earlier, gallstones are of two types, i.e., cholesterol and pigment gallstones. It is hard to highlight one particular cause of gallstone formation. However, doctors point out various possible factors, including:
- Bile containing excess cholesterol: Your liver keeps excreting extra cholesterol. Bile juice functions continuously to dissolve cholesterol along with other chemicals. Due to some obvious reasons, your liver starts excreting more cholesterol than your bile is capable of dissolving. Continuous and prolonged accumulation of cholesterol into the gall bladder forms very tiny crystals, which are eventually build-up to form stones.
- Your gallbladder is not emptying correctly:Sometimes, the bile concentration increases due to improper emptying of the gallbladder and contributes to gallstones’ formation.
- Bile containing excess bilirubin: Bilirubin is a chemical produced duringthe breakdown of red blood cells. Certain medical conditions like biliary tract infection, blood disorders, liver cirrhosis, etc., force your liver to overproduce bilirubin. An excess of bilirubin eventually forms gallstones.
Complications of Gallstones
Depending on the duration of formation, type, and size of stones, a patient may have the following complications.
- Inflammation of the Gallbladder: Inflammation of the gallbladder (cholecystitis) is mostly noticed when the gallstone gets stuck in the gallbladder’s neck. The patient may get severe abdominal pain and fever in such a case.
- The blockage of pancreatic ductwhich is a tube-like structure that connects the pancreas to the common bile duct and continues to the duodenum. Especially if not detected early, gallstones may block the pancreatic duct and show signs like light-colored stools, nausea, vomiting, dark urine, sudden weight loss, etc.
- Blockage of the common bile duct: Gallstones may also block ducts through which bile flows from the gallbladder or liver to the small intestine. You may have symptoms like jaundice, bile duct infection, and severe abdominal pain, etc.
- Gallstone Cancer: Although rare, gallstones can potentially be responsible for gallbladder cancer. Gallstone cancer is mainly noticed when gallstones are not detected early or are ignored for months.
Can you dissolve gallstone?
Small-sized gallstones (less than 5 mm) are possible to dissolve with prescribed medications such as Ursodiol. Ursodiol is also effective for preventing the formation of gallstones in the future.
Besides, homeopathic treatment is surprisingly useful to dissolve gallstones of up to 5 mm. Some homeopathic medicines like Berberis Vulgaris, China, Carduus Marianus, Chamomilla, Chionanthus, Lycopodium, Veratrum Album, etc., can be helpful if you want to remove gallstones without surgery.
Note: These medicines are only for information purposes. We strongly suggest you not to take any of these medicines until and unless a qualified homeopathic practitioner prescribes them.
How to Dissolve Gallstones Naturally?
These days, medical science has reached a completely different height. And fortunately, treatment for so many different problems and complications is not only easily available but also affordable. We always suggest you get in touch with a qualified medical practitioner for correct analysis, examination, diagnosis, and treatment.
The effectiveness of these natural ways of dissolving gallstones is not backed by medical science. However, they are very popular natural alternatives to modern medical methods. Again, talking to your doctor before starting any of the following remedies is advised. If you are having moderate to severe complications of gallstone, you may require immediate medical attention. Let’s have a look at some very useful, safer alternative natural ways to dissolve gallstones.
Also Read: Pimple In Ear – Potential Causes, Treatment, Prevention and Much More
1. Gallstone Cleanse
We have already discussed some significant reasons for gallstone formation, like secretion of excess bile, excess bilirubin in your body, improper emptying of the gallbladder, etc.
Many people with a better idea of traditional remedies claim that a gallbladder cleanse can help break down the gallstones and empty gallbladder. However, we are still away from scientific backing. Still, some people prefer using a combination of herbs, olive oil, and juice for a few days.
During that period of gallstone cleanse, you are not supposed to consume anything but the oil mixture. We don’t have a standard recipe or mixture as yet, and this can be risky for people with lifestyle disorders like low blood sugar and diabetes, etc.
One study was performed to analyze the role of sunflower oil and olive oil on gallstones; researchers successfully found olive oil’s role in proper bile consumption. However, there wasn’t enough evidence of a noticeable effect on gallstones.
Don’t attempt the gallbladder cleanse without talking to your doctor. It might not be a safe option for everyone.
2. Apple Juice
Apple juice is considered an effective home remedy for gall bladder stones. People believe that apple juice may dissolve the gallstones and help you pass out through urine due to its acidic nature. The claim about apple juice being a treatment for gallstones was circulated after a 1999 letter with details about an anecdotal woman having successfully passed the gallstones with apple juice. However, medical experts don’t support this theory.
Regular fruit juice consumption may not be suitable for you if you have hypoglycemia, diabetes, stomach ulcers, or other chronic conditions.
National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health adverts dandelion as a traditional home remedy for gall bladder stone. Some old-time recordings back dandelion as a treatment for various liver, gallbladder, and bile duct problems. Believers of ancient medicine claim that the bitter roots of dandelion may stimulate the production of bile.
People used to consume dandelion coffees and teas to remove gallstones. However, we don’t have enough scientific support to say whether it’s beneficial or not. Hence, you should ask your doctor before consuming dandelion, especially if you are down with gallstones, other gallbladder problems, or kidney problems.
4. Milk Thistle
There are plenty of records of medical usage of milk thistle for detoxifying the liver. It has been in use for centuries. While it may help improve gallbladder complications, we don’t have enough scientific backing for its benefits on gallstones.
You can have milk thistle in different forms, including tablet, capsule, or a tonic. If you have conditions like ragweed allergy, diabetes, or a history of hormone-sensitive cancers, you should not consume milk thistle without talking to your doctor.
If we go with some claims, yoga is another effective way to remove gallstones naturally. A study articulates that yoga can improve the overall lipid profile, especially in people with diabetes. In a separate study, researchers worked with a group of people with cholesterol gallstones and found that most of them had abnormal lipid profiles.
However, they didn’t find conclusive evidence of a connection between abnormal lipid profiles and gallstones. Yes, yoga can improve various symptoms related to gallstones, but we can’t say it a dependable treatment for gallstones.
Artichoke extracts may have some effects on the stimulation of bile production and the liver and gallbladder’s function. However, there is no medical proof of artichoke calling as a home remedy for gall bladder stones.
Artichokes can be used in a lot of different ways for cooking and consumption purposes. The research mainly focuses on the effects of supplements containing artichoke extracts, which are perhaps more potent than the natural extracts.
Like all other home remedies, you should talk to a doctor before using artichoke for gallstones as well.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar for Gallstones – Is it a good option?
Many people profess that apple cider vinegar can dissolve gallstones. But that’s far, very far from the truth. Yes, it’s a popular health supplement used for various reasons, but no scientific records are backing ACV as a treatment for gallstones. Let’s understand why ACV can’t breakdown stones in your gallbladder.
Many people believe that ingesting ACV can dissolve gallstones. And if you put some gallstones in a petri dish and add apple cider vinegar, you may notice them dissolving after a while. Why? Simply because apple cider vinegar is acidic!
However, can you somehow expose the stones inside a gallbladder directly to apple cider vinegar? That’s quite impossible. Why? First, you will have to consume some amount of ACV. By the time it will clear all the hurdles from your digestive system, it will breakdown into different chemical components and won’t remain as acidic as it was! And it’s doubtful that ACV can affect the stones, at least when they are still inside.
So, don’t be in any confusion whatsoever, and avoid consuming apple cider vinegar in the hope that it will quickly dissolve gallstones.
Can You Prevent Gallstones Formation?
Many people think that their body requires help from outside to detoxify and flush itself properly, but that’s not true at all! Your body is capable enough to function correctly enough – but you need to provide a healthy, balanced diet combined with plenty of physical workouts.
Flushing or cleansing your gallbladder, or even your clone is not even close to logic and certainly lacks scientific merit. Instead, you can ensure the prevention of gallstones by following a healthy lifestyle that should include:
- Adding more fiber to your diet: Doctors give so much importance to a fiber-rich diet. Dietary fiber keeps your gut healthy and clean. It increases the size and weight of your stools and makes them easy to pass. Also, fiber can reduce the production of bile acids and bile cholesterol levels. Hence, we suggest you add more fibers to your diet by eating more vegetables, beans, whole grains, fruits, etc.
- Consuming healthy fats: Gallstones are likely to form when your gallbladder doesn’t empty well enough. Healthy fats like fish oil and olive oil can stimulate the gallbladder’s contraction and ensure regular emptying. A diet with healthy fat can keep your gallbladder healthy without relying on a potentially risky “flush.”
- Engaging in enough physical activities: Physical activities can also play a key role in gallstone prevention. Thirty minutes of moderate exercise five times a week is usually enough to maintain healthy body weight and keep cholesterol levels checked.
- Reducing sugar intake: Avoiding overconsumption of sugar, especially refined ones, can also go a long way.
Can I eat eggs with gallstones?
Eggs are affordable and are an excellent source of protein. You can easily prepare a dozen different recipes with eggs. But can you consume them when you have gallstones? Potentially, egg yolks are high in cholesterol, and an elevated cholesterol level must be the last thing you would want!
An elevated blood-cholesterol level can cause various gallbladder problems, including inflammation and gallstones. However, you can consume egg whites in limited quantities, but only if you can follow a healthy and active lifestyle themed with a healthy diet, physical activities, mindfulness, weight management, etc.
“Home remedy for gall bladder stone” is more a hypothetical concept than a proven or scientific one. In a modern era, where medical science is touching new heights every day, you should avoid such theories.
We recommend you get in touch with a qualified doctor for proper medical assistance. You will get a better idea of the condition of your gallbladder. Your doctor will tell you if medical treatment can be helpful to dissolve the gallstones. Otherwise, doctors usually suggest for surgery, known as cholecystectomy for gallbladder removal. You can survive even without a gallbladder with minimal side effects. Hopefully, you don’t have to face such situations.