Having oily and greasy hair is very common, and almost all of us get annoyed multiple times in our lives. Natural oil (sebum) is very important for your hair’s health. But, excessive production of sebum can make your hair as well as scalp oily, greasy, dirty, sweaty, irrespective of how often you shampoo or condition them.
Sometimes, the excessively oily scalp can be a sole reason for redness, itching, inflammation, and even seborrheic dermatitis. However, you don’t need to get hopeless, as there are some very effective oily hair treatment & remedies that can help you to balance the greasiness of your scalp and hair. But, before we start discussing these amazing remedies, let’s know why your hair gets greasy all the time
Potential Causes of Oily Hair
Yes, excessive production of sebum is obviously the most important factor responsible for annoyingly slick hair, there are some other possible factors too.
- Humidity: If you continuously reside in a humid environment, there are higher chances of you getting oily hair even if you take care of them correctly.
- Touching your hair unnecessarily can also cause greasy hair as the oil from your hands may transfer to the scalp.
- Prolonged application of certain hair serums may also be responsible for oily scalp.
- Excessive use of conditioner
- Hormonal imbalances.
- Vitamin B deficiency
- Shampooing your hair excessively can cause stripping of natural oil from the scalp, and hence, causing overproduction of sebum.
- Untreated or ignored dandruff.
- Not washing your hair correctly and frequently.
Some Very Potent and Safe Home Remedies for Greasy Hair
- Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can be the best bet if you have got oily hair due to excessive and untreated dandruff. According to a study, tea tree oil is packed with extraordinary antimicrobial properties and can control dandruff. Hence, it can effectively treat greasiness of hair and scalp without causing any unwanted effect.
Here is How to Administer Tea Tree Oil on Hair
- Take 30 ml of carrier oil of your choice (preferably coconut or jojoba oil).
- Now, add 15 drops of tea tree essential oil and mix well.
- Apply the combination of two oils to your scalp.
- Spread the oil evenly from hair roots to the ends.
- Applying tea tree oil directly on your scalp can be even more effective (only if you are not sensitive to it).
- Use this blend twice or thrice a week, and complement with a natural conditioner for best results.
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Oily Hair
Apple cider vinegar inholds acetic acid, which may balance your scalp’s pH level. Your scalp usually has a low pH, and washing it with ACV can effectively restore its pH level. With that, ACV can control the excessive production of natural hair oil.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Oily Hair
- Add 3 tbsp of diluted apple cider vinegar to one cup water, and mix properly.
- ACV with water can work as a mild cleanser, and you can use it to wash your hair without any harsh effect.
- Wash your hair with a shampoo, and wash again with ACV solution.
- Keep the solution on for a few minutes, before finally washing the hair again with cold water.
- Repeat this formula thrice a week for expected results.
- Coconut Oil for Oily Hair
Coconut oil is one of the most affordable as well as a very effective natural treatment for oily hair. Applying it before conditioning your hair can avoid the sliminess of your hair. Virgin coconut oil is known for its lightness as it has much lower molecular weight when compared to most of the other hair oils. And that’s why coconut oil can go a long way to control the oiliness of the hair. In addition, the oil can give your hair the much-needed shine and glow.
Here is How to Use Coconut Oil for Oily Hair
- Wet your hand with little virgin coconut oil rub it between the palms.
- Apply the oil properly on the scalp as well as hair.
- Wash your hair with a light shampoo after about one hour.
- Use coconut oil once a week to balance the production of natural hair oil.
- Aloe Vera for Oily Hair
Thanks to its powerful astringent and nourishing properties, aloe vera is also one of the most affordable, yet very handy natural treatment for oily hair. It is also packed with numerous nutrient-rich components and can make your hair soft and shiny by controlling excessive sebum production.
How to Treat Oily Hair with Aloe Vera
- Compound one tbsp fresh aloe vera gel with one tbsp lime juice.
- Now, add this mixture to one cup of water, and mix thoroughly.
- Wash your hair with this mixture, preferably after finishing the shampooing.
- Keep the mixture on for about five minutes before washing it off with cold water.
- Implement this treatment once or twice a week to control greasiness of hair and scalp.
- Epsom Salt for Oily Hair
Thanks to its high content of magnesium, Epsom salt can also be among the best home remedies for oily hair. How? Magnesium works very effectively on the scalp’s inflammation and absorbs the excess sebum from the scalp.
How to Use Epsom Salt for Oily Hair?
- Simply, add two tbsp Epsom salt to your shampoo.
- Apply the shampoo containing Epsom salt on the scalp, and leave for about ten minutes before washing.
- Follow this treatment twice a week to eliminate extra oil from your hair.
- Baking Soda for Oily Hair
When it comes to hair and scalp, baking soda provides double benefits. It is not only a very good natural dry shampoo but works as a hair rinse too. There is enough anecdotal evidence of the effectiveness of baking soda on oily hair, as it can get rid of excess scalp oil. In addition, baking soda can be a potent natural remedy to balance your scalp’s pH level.
Here Are the Steps to Use Baking Sod for Oily Hair
- Sprinkle a handful of baking soda on your hair, ensuring your scalp is covered as well.
- Use a high-quality, soft hairbrush to spread the baking soda evenly through hair ends.
- Alternatively, add four tbsp of water to one tbsp baking soda and apply on your moist hair.
- Wash your hair with fresh water after about five minutes.
- Use baking soda for oily hair twice a week and notice the difference.
- Green Tea for Oily Hair
Green tea is packed with a lot of polyphenols and can be a blessing for your scalp’s overall health. Green tea can maintain the balance between dryness and greasiness of hair by successfully controlling the over-secretion of sebum.
- Boil one cup water in a saucepan, and add ½ cup of green tea to it.
- Simmer green tea for five minutes before straining.
- Keep the mixture aside to give some cooling time.
- Once the mixture gets a bit colder, apply it thoroughly on your scalp.
- Leave the amalgam for about half an hour before washing with cold water.
- Trying this method once a week should give you great results.
- Cocoa Powder for Oily Hair
When it comes to home remedies for oily, frizzy hair, cocoa powder also becomes a preferred choice. It works very effectively as a dry shampoo, especially on dark hair. Cocoa powder can get rid of excess scalp oil and give a natural shine to your hair.
How to Use Cocoa Powder as a Dry Shampoo?
- Sprinkle about one tbsp cocoa powder evenly on your hair and scalp.
- Even out the powder by using a hair comb.
- You can use it as a dry shampoo whenever you are short on time to wash your hair.
- Egg Yolk for Oily Hair
Thanks to their fatty acids and nutrients, egg yolks can be among the most potent home remedies for greasy hair. They can absorb and control the scalp’s sebum and prevent the excessive greasiness of hair and scalp.
What You Have to Do with Egg Yolk?
- Add one tbsp lemon juice to one egg yolk and beat for a few seconds.
- Now, wear this hair mask evenly on recently washed hair, focusing on the scalp as well.
- Keep the mask on for about forty minutes before rinsing with cold water.
- Apply this hair mask every weekend to see a clear difference.
- Lemon Juice for Oily Hair
Lemon juice is not only a great natural treatment for oily hair; it can be proved immensely effective against dandruff as well. As we know, it is acidic in nature, and hence, can bring the pH level of your hair and scalp to normal. Additionally, citrus found in lemon can also contain the extra production of sebum.
How to Use Lemon Juice for Oily Hair
- Squeeze out the juice from a couple of lemons.
- Add the juice to two cups of fresh, distilled water and dilute properly.
- Now, refrigerate this mixture in an air-tight container.
- Whenever you shampoo and condition your hair, pat them dry, and finish with this refrigerated mixture.
- Keep the emulsion on for about ten minutes before washing your hair again.
- This method is a bit laborious as well as time-taking but is packed with amazing benefits. So, you can treat your hair with this method every now and then, when you have enough time.
Here is a word of caution: Lime juice can bleach your hair when exposed to sunlight. So, avoid sitting under direct sunlight with this mixture on your hair.
- Jojoba Oil for Oily Hair
The chemical properties of jojoba oil are quite similar to those of sebum produced by your hair. If you can use jojoba oil consistently for your hair, it can control the extra production of natural hair oil, and hence, can reduce the oiliness of scalp and hair.
Here is How to Get Rid of Oily Hair Naturally with Jojoba Oil
- Apply a few drops of high-quality jojoba oil uniformly on your scalp working through the hair strands.
- Leave this mighty hair oil for about one hour before rinsing off with a mild, chemical-free shampoo.
- Use jojoba oil every other day for a few weeks and see the reduction in natural scalp oil.
- Oatmeal for Oily Hair
The use of oatmeal is not limited to healthy and nutritious food. If used precisely, it can be one of the best home remedies for oily hair too. As oatmeal is thick and consistent, it can easily soak up the extra oil from your hair and scalp. Additionally, due to its anti-inflammatory properties, oatmeal can make your hair smooth by soothing the scalp.
Steps to Use Oatmeal for Oily Hair
- Cook a handful of oatmeal and mash it to get scrub-like consistency.
- You can, of course, adjust the quantity according to your hair.
- Now, apply smoothly on your scalp, working evenly on hair strands.
- Keep the oatmeal paste on for about twenty minutes before rinsing with a mild shampoo.
- Applying oatmeal once or twice a week will be enough to get healthy, less-oily hair.
- Yogurt Hair Mask for Oily Hair
Here is another fine natural treatment for oily hair. Treating your hair with yogurt can help you get rid of extra hair oil and provide the much-required nourishment to both scalp and hair.
Here is How to Use:
- Add two tbsp lemon juice and one tbsp baking soda to ½ cup plain yogurt.
- Beat the compound for a couple of minutes to get suitable consistency.
- Cover your scalp and hair with this mixture.
- Wear a shower cap or use a clean towel to seal the moisture.
- Wash your hair with plain water after about half an hour.
- Use plain yogurt once a week to nourish your hair and keep them healthier, softer, and shiny.
Oily hair can be so annoying and waste your precious time while styling. Hopefully, you are now armed with some very good oily hair treatment & remedies. You can elect any of these treatments according to your choice, and of course, availability of the ingredients. Do share your hair treatment story with us! We will be gleeful to listen to your side.