Have you ever liked a short dress but didn’t buy it only because of your dark knees? Or did you ever liked to flaunt a sleeve dress but could not do so just because you have dark elbows? Now here is the permanent solution to your problem. This can be done by using basic home remedies.
The reason behind dark skin of elbow n knees is that the skin of these two areas is thicker when compared to other parts and these areas do not have oil glands so the skin tend to become dry, rough and dark. But if you do take proper care then it can turn out in your normal skin tone.
Apart from this there are also other reasons that can cause your knees and elbow to become dark like, dry skin, hormonal imbalance, genetic factors, exposing too much to sun. However if you follow the below remedies then you can get rid of dark knees and elbows.
Home Remedies for Dark Knees and Elbows
1. Gram Flour and Lemon: Gram flour is one of the age old remedy used for skin lightening and lemon on the other hand contains citric acid which helps in reducing dark spots and dark skin. Lemon is also known for its bleaching, anti oxidant and exfoliating properties and when combined with gram flour it gives spot less elbow and knees. All you need to do is in a bowl mix 2 teaspoon of gram flour and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply this paste on the affected areas and let it dry and then wash off. Repeat this 3-4 times a week for better results.
2. Yoghurt and Vinegar: Vinegar also contains bleaching agents which eliminates dark skin and yoghurt moisturises the skin as the skin area of elbow and knees are dry.
In a small bowl take 1 tablespoon of yoghurt and 2-3 teaspoons of vinegar and mix them together to form a smooth consistency. Now apply this on the knees and elbow and give a massage for few minutes in circular motion. Allow this to sit for 10-15 minutes and then wash with cold water.
3. Olive Oil and Sugar Scrub: This remedy helps in moisturising as well as exfoliating the affected parts of the skin.For using this method you need to mix sugar and olive oil in equal proportion to form a scrub. Now rub this scrub on the knees and elbow for good 10-15 minutes. Then wash off with normal water.
4. Milk, Honey and Turmeric: Now these three ingredients when combined all together will give best results by eliminating the dark skin. This is one of the best remedy as all the ingredients have different properties which can scale down the dark skin. Honey gently moisturise the skin, milk acts as a bleaching agent and turmeric has got antiseptic properties.
If you wish to use this remedy in order to lighten the skin then you need to mix in a bowl 1-2 tablespoons of milk, 1 teaspoon full honey and half a teaspoon of turmeric. Apply this paste on your knees and elbow and give a massage by rotating your hand in circular motion. Leave this for some time and then wash with normal water.
5. Baking Soda and Milk: Baking soda is also considered one of the bleaching agents and milk can give many favourable changes to your skin.To a tablespoon of milk add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and mix well. Now apply this on the darker areas of the skin and leave it for few minutes.
6. Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice: This method moisturises the skin as well as reduces the darkness of the skin.Take a tablespoon of coconut oil and mix it along with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Now give a massage on the knees and elbow. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then wash with warm water.
7. Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera can do wonders to your skin; it is age long remedy which helps in treating multiple kinds of skin problems. It has the ability to lighten the skin as well as it acts as a moisturising agent. It not only reduces the darkness of the skin but also helps in preventing from further damage to the skin.
• If you want the best results then do repeat the desired method daily.
• If you have cracks or bruises in your knees and elbow then avoid applying vinegar and lemon.
• If your skin is too dry then the lemon strings may lead to burning sensations which sometimes can me unbearable. In this case use moisturising lotion.