Writers and beauty bloggers are consistently harping about uses of olive oil for dark spots. Healing benefits of this essential oil were documented in religious scriptures like Quran and Bible.
Use of olive oil over skin dates back to ancient time, Cleopatra added this natural oil in her beauty regimen. Am not exaggerating, this oil can replace those expensive cosmetic creams to nourish your skin.
Vitamins, minerals and fatty acids housed in virgin olive oil can soften your rough skin and helps to regenerate new cells. It can be used as face mask, eye cream, lip balm, body lotion, moisturizing dry cuticles and to remove makeup.
Why Dark Spots Appear on Face?
Melanin is a pigment responsible for your skin’s color. Factors like hormonal imbalance, pollutants, diet and excess exposure to sunlight affect the production of this pigment resulting in dark patches.
Apart from this, beauty creams you use may irritate your skin and lead to hyperpigmentation. Natural ingredients in olive oil are filled with nutrients that enhance healthy functioning of your skin.
How to Use Olive Oil for Dark Spots?
- This ancient oil is filled with anti-ageing and antioxidant activity, which can help to fade wrinkles and enhance cell regeneration. Rich source of vitamin A and E improves elasticity and hydrates the skin.
- Antioxidant agents restrain free radicals that damage cell membrane. It postpones aging wrinkles and fine lines.
- It`s exfoliating property helps to remove impurities off your face and lightens dark spots.
- Anti-bacterial activity thwarts bacterial infection.
- Nutrients in this oil enhance collagen production and make your skin supple.
Topically apply this essential oil over prewashed face to see positive results. You can blend it with other natural ingredients to increase its effect.
1. Olive oil and Lemon Juice
Bleaching property in lemon juice is prominent to lighten scars and dark spots. Limit its use if you’ve sensitive skin.
- Mix 2-3 drops of lemon juice in required amount of olive oil. Wash your face prior to face mask application. Use clean hands or cotton ball to apply the mask.
After application, leave the mask to dry naturally and rinse it off with water.
2. Olive oil and Vitamin E oil
- Extract vitamin E oil from capsules in a bowl and add virgin olive oil to it. Mix it thoroughly using a cotton swab.
- Cleanse your face before applying this face mask. You can either use natural exfoliators like oatmeal or just rinse with water. Rinse with water when face mask dries up.
3. Olive oil and Glycerin
Both are renowned for their hydrating potential.
- Mix 20 drops of olive oil with 20 drops of glycerin in a bowl and massage over the face.
- To remove thick dry patches from the skin, mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil with 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Apply this scrub over dry patches and massage in circular motion. Use wet cloth to remove the mask.
Follow with a natural moisturizer if you’ve dry skin.You’re free to mix other essential oils with olive oil, but make sure your skin goes well with the ingredients.
4. Olive oil and turmeric
Turmeric has an amazing component in it called curcumin, which helps to reduce the excess production of melanin. Its anti oxidant properties helps to remove dark spots as well as removes wrinkles.
- Mix a table spoon of turmeric along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Apply this on your face and leave it to dry for 15-20 minutes.
- Make sure you have washed and pat dry your face before applying.
5. Olive oil and honey
Honey have many significant benefits which have been proved in historical books, modern science and well as religious scriptures. Honey can lighten the dark spots and scars as is rich in vitamins and has healing properties as well.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey along with 1 table spoon of olive oil.
- Apply this on the effected area and wash after 15-20 minutes.