Hair gets its color from melanin; concentration of this pigment is directly proportional to your hair color. Anecdotal reports say that sesame oil for grey hair works efficiently because of its powerful nutrients.
You’re enjoying your look in the mirror and suddenly a strand of grey hair appears. This unwelcomed change in hair color normally commence after the age of 35, due to genetics few of you may have grey hair at early stages.
First thing which I’d like to clear, that there is no magic pill to change grey hair to black overnight. You must either adjust with chemical dyes or use natural remedies like sesame oil to try your luck.
Why My Hair Turns Grey?
Hair is made of keratin, and melanin is the pigment responsible for its dark color. It all starts with the reduction of an enzyme called as catalase, which helps to break hydrogen peroxide. Increasing number of hydrogen peroxide badly affects the growth of melanin resulting in grey hair.
The causes of grey hair are as follows
1. Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Deficiency of vitamin b12 leads to early as well as faster graying of hair. This usually happens when your body is not in a position to absorb enough amount of vitamin b12, as a result hair tend to become grey.
Genetics plays a very vital role when it come to premature graying of hair. Premature graying usually starts with the age of 12 or so, but in some cases the hair might again turn into natural color after some time. But most of the time it permanently turns your hair grey.
If you are living in an environment where the pollution levels are high or even working in such a place where you are constantly surrounded by pollution, then the chances of your hair turning grey are very high.
Smoking is another factor responsible for turning your hair grey. When compared to a non smoker, the person who smokes more is most likely to turn their hair grey. Smoking releases free radicals in the body leading to oxidative stress, which in turn is responsible for reducing the pigmentation capacity of melanin. Thus turning your hair grey.
5. Improper diet
Lack of proper nutritional diet can also make your hair grey before age. Deficiency of vitamin b12, iron and iodine are the possible causes in making your hair turn grey. In addition lack of proteins, vitamins, excessive consumption of alcohol, tea and coffee and also make hair grey.
Can Sesame Oil for Grey Hair Work?
Wonder how come this home available remedy can change your whole look?
Remember not to expect overnight results with this natural remedy. It’s a constant process.
- Sesame seeds are packed with nutrients like copper, iron, zinc, phosphorus, calcium, manganese, magnesium, amino acids, selenium, fiber, vitamin B1 and vitamin E.
- Apart from these powerful nutrients, sesame seeds have two more substances: sesamin and sesamolin, which reduce cholesterol and enhance immune system.
- Antioxidant activity exhibited by this oil can restrain free radicals that cause grey hair and damage cell. (source)
- Chinese medical documents include benefits of black sesame seeds for grey hair. According to their medical science, black sesame seeds help to nourish Yin and blood resulting in growth of melanocytes.
Other benefits of sesame oil
- Calcium and phosphorus in black sesame seeds can strengthen your bones and prevent osteoporosis.
- Relieve yourself from stress by massaging with this oil regularly over the head.
- Use it over the face or around the neck to stimulate cell regeneration and lighten dark spots.
- Anti-cancer compounds residing in the oil can help you prevent cancer.
- Antioxidant agents are renowned to improve your skin texture and enhance over all functioning of your health including liver.
- As mentioned before, unique substance in this oil helps to reduce cholesterol and is good for heart.
- Helps to reduce asthma attacks.
- Black sesame seeds can protect your liver, which helps in improving eye health according to Chinese medicine. (Chinese medical science says that eyes are related to healthy functioning of liver.)
Best way to use sesame oil for grey is to apply this natural oil over your head. Best time I prefer is before going to bed. You’ll experience a relaxed sleep.
Note: Patch test before trying this oil. Your immune system may find it disturbed and trigger allergic reaction.